On 8/28/07, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shaochun Wang ha scritto:
> > Hi guys:
> >
> > I wouldn't like, but i have to say that all current available linux
> > desktop search engines are rubbish. Keep reading, and you'll know why.
> >
> > 1. Beagle is full of buggy. Can you imagine what makes a software
> consumes
> > five hundrend Megabits of memory? On my system, this beast consumes
> > almost all of memory and makes my swap half full. Besides, it also
> > monopolizes CPU and makes my system unusable. When you search something,
> > beagle gives you some hints which is not good enough. Beagle can search
> > chm, pdf etc. files.
> >
> > 2. Tracker is boasting itself of consuming little system resource and
> > quick responding speed. It's true when compared with beagle and google
> > desktop search. It consumes about twenty five megabits on idle state and
> > gives you something in an acceptable time. But what can be called a
> > search engine when it returns nothing you want? In other hand, tracker
> > can't index chm file.
> >
> > 3. Google desktop search is heavy like beagle. It makes my system so
> > slow that I wonder whether it is the product of google. It is source
> > closed and only binary distributed. But this is unimportant, and who
> > will be interested in the source of such ugly software :-)
> >
> > In one word, there is no useable desktop search engine for linux.
> >

> Thanks for your opinion. Next time write it on your own blog instead of
> wasting our time.
>
> m.
> --

That was a bit harsh, don't you think? Judging by his grammar and spelling
errors, English doesn't look like his first language, so cut him some
slack.  He was trying to convey why he didn't like the current search
offerings, and if someone could point him in the direction of another one.

And the answer, from these posts, seems nothing will suit him.  I do
however, say to you, OP, both Windows and OSX have better search features.
That said, it looks like the newest version of Beagle, 0.2.18, was released
yesterday.  Looks like there are a lot of bug fixes in this release [1].
Looks like the newest version isn't in Portage yet (not surprising), but you
can always file a bug [2] to get a version bump -- although I would wait
about a week or longer before you bother the maintainer.

[1] Release Notes:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/beagle/trunk/beagle/NEWS?view=markup
[2] BugZilla for Gentoo: http://bugs.gentoo.org/

--