I see only one question (the one about memory hungry Beagle) at the OP
post, and the answer is: It may be loading the whole index in memory,
thus allowing faster searches. Unhappy, get more memory, or change
software. Oh no, but he already concluded that all DSE for linux are
bad. Strange, I used Google Desktop Search and fitted me well, maybe
you just have a machine that's too slow, or haven't configured it
right. Isn't CHM the default Windows help file extension? This is
Linux.

As for the rest of the OP mail. Its a troll, has no question, no
useful comments, no suggestions, neither a request for opinions, and
he ends it like a pure troll, nonsense conclusions based on personal
experience. But he must be laughing out loud that you both, felix and
b.n. have completely lost it, going totally off topic and starting a
private discussion that should take place between you both, and only
you, and most of all, outside of this mailing list.

Just to follow some of the replies, I also found no good substitute
for old locate, find and grep.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil