On Monday 03 December 2007, Grant wrote:
> > In Europe GSM is synonymous with cell phone (as far as I know analogue
> > cell phone networks are no longer available to retail customers).  You
> > can buy Pay-As-You-Go SIM cards for less than $20 dollars equivalent.  If
> > you want a new phone with that, you may have to pay a bit more, but not
> > much.  I wouldn't be surprised if these days you can get a phone for
> > 'free' as long as you buy say, $50 equivalent of Pay-As-You-Go minutes.
> > As long as your phone is not locked by the provider (or you are prepared
> > to unlock it yourself) it will work with any provider's SIM card.  Also
> > in Europe there are many ISP dial-up numbers, which will just cost you
> > the price of a local call.  These in the UK start with 0845- and for
> > some/many of these you do not have to register as a user.  Google for
> > 'anonymous free dial up number UK' and you'll get a long list of 0845-
> > numbers with username & passwds.  You can use your PAYG phone and SIM
> > card to ring any of these numbers.  I have not found yet any dial up
> > numbers which are barred by cell phone providers in the UK or in Europe
> > (at least Switzerland, France, Germany, Norway, Spain and Greece), but
> > YMMV.  To avoid paying international call rates between different
> > countries in Europe it would make sense to search and find ISP dial up
> > numbers for each country that you intend to visit.
>
> Sounds pretty good.  Is this a connection in the neighborhood of
> 14.4k?  Will it will work anywhere a GSM signal is had?

My really old cell phone won't go as high as that.  I am getting up to 1.6KBps
download speeds.  This is usually on a train, going under bridges and so on.

> I searched for free dial up in the US and all I could find was Netzero
> and Juno which are Windows only.  Do you happen to know of a dial up
> ISP that has numbers all over the world?  I wouldn't mind paying for
> something like that.

Have look here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=International+Internet+dial+up+account&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

> > All of the above deals with numbers which are dialed up using plain GSM
> > (TDMA or 2G technology).  That's sloooow but cheap if you only intend to
> > stay on line for short periods of time (e.g. downloading a couple of
> > plain text emails) since charging is structured around the period of time
> > that you stay connected.  For larger downloads you need more bandwidth
> > which in (most/all? of) Europe means a GPRS connection (FDMA, or 2.5G)
> > and charging structure:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service
> >
> > With this you can stay connected as long as you want - you only pay for
> > the kb of data that you up/download.  As always Google should be able to
> > show you loads of deals that are available these days to choose between
> > providers. PAYG top-up cards containing the necessary codes that register
> > your SIM with the respective cell phone network are available widely from
> > corner shops and kiosks.  Any GSM cell phone sold today can access both
> > GSM & GPRS services.
>
> I got this from a page about bringing a cell phone to Costa Rica: "If
> you bring it, remember that you will have to see if it is on the ICE
> list of approved phones, then you will need to pay someone to convert
> it, then you will have no warranty in either country.  Why bother"

That means that Costa Rica is a bit complicated when it comes to GSM access,
or do they expect you to buy one of their phones just for a few days in their
country?!

> I guess certain phones only work in certain countries?  I thought a
> GSM phone with a local SIM card would work anywhere there is a GSM
> network.  Actually, wikitravel.org says: "Prepaid Sim cards are not
> available in Costa Rica."

It seems to me that Costa Rica has some restrictive commercial practices
(probably trying to block cheap imports/stolen phones from the States hitting
the local trade?)

> I was looking for a relatively easy way to get online in most places
> around the world, but maybe GSM isn't it.  I swore off WIFI hunting
> after visiting the Greek island of Corfu, and from jiwire.com it looks
> like there is still nothing there.  Check this out though:
>
> http://www.geofone.net/bgan-sale.htm
>
> These are lightweight, plenty fast, USB, Bluetooth, ethernet, and the
> page even mentions Linux.  $20/day and $7.95/MB doesn't sound so bad.
> How can I figure out how much data I send/receive right now during
> minimal operation?

Don't know how long you intend staying connected each day, or how much data
you need to up/download, but $20 a day doesn't exactly hit me as a deal . . .

That's well more than what I would expect to have to pay a month, even when I
am on international roaming charges away from home.
--
Regards,
Mick