my guess is that courier hasn't been told where to look for the mails.
If you can see them from squirrelmail but not imap, that's probably the
problem.

furthermore you can diagnose connection problems seperately from
missing mail problems. ( claws-mail has a convenient log feature for
connections.   )  you may not be able to connect at all if you don't
make yourself a cert.  (you probably read about that)

 i am not using mysql, just plain maildirs. I don't remember
the howto I followed anymore (there seems to be so many) here's some
relevant config files, I hope they help you. Selections from the
directories in /etc have been provided here:

http://spore.ath.cx/~dan/confing/mail/

I don't think main.cf is relevant, but I included it anyway.  I also
removed some of the files I know I didn't change/don't use.  If you find
something lacking, let me know.  And if you have any particular
questions, please go ahead.