> > I just don't have a good understanding of email.  Can you give me an
> > idea of how you'd set this up?  At this point I only need mail for
> > myself via claws-mail.  I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
> > squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.
>
> Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.

I don't think I'm using virtuals.  I was only using pieces of that
virtuals howto.  I'm still trying to figure all this out.

> When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
> IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
> server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
> gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
> IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
> username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
> ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.

Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
the password unencrypted.  I think the only thing I'm trying to do
differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.

> Squirrelmail might typically connect to the server on localhost using
> unencrypted IMAP - on the same machine you should be able to connect
> claws-mail the same way. You may wish then to configure the IMAP
> server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
> secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
> courier-imap/imapd-ssl).

I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day.  That's how
I've been trying to connect with no luck.  I don't know if it's a
certificate problem or something else.  Should I copy
/etc/courier-imap/imapd.pem from the remote server to somewhere on the
local machine for claws-mail?  The claws-mail manual is no help here.

Should I be using my remote server's IP address for the server names
in the claws-mail config?  Should IMAP4 authentication method be
Automatic?

- Grant