On 10 Feb 2008, at 20:05, Grant wrote:

I just don't have a good understanding of email.  Can you give me an
idea of how you'd set this up?  At this point I only need mail for
myself via claws-mail.  I currently use postfix, courier-imap, and
squirrelmail, and my mail is in ~/.maildir/ too.

Well, I don't see why you changed Courier to virtuals.

I don't think I'm using virtuals.  I was only using pieces of that
virtuals howto.  I'm still trying to figure all this out.

Please excuse me. I appear to have followed an assumption made by a previous poster.

When you connect with Squirrelmail it is simply connecting to the
IMAP server on hostname port 143 or 993. When it does so the IMAP
server says "hello, what's your username, password" and Squirrelmail
gives these. I don't see why you didn't point claws-mail at the same
IMAP server - all you'd have needed to do so, give it the same
username & password and Bob would have married your auntie in a big
ceremony with lots of flowers & confetti.

Because claws-mail is here and imap is there and I don't want to send
the password unencrypted.  I think the only thing I'm trying to do
differently now is connect to imapd-ssl instead of imapd.

Well, do it once to prove the point. Then change your password & move to the next step.

I actually intended for you to use claws-mail on the same machine as the IMAP server - use `ssh -X` if necessary - just so you could see how it's set up.

Is Squirrelmail still working, connecting to the 143 port? Have you tried changing it to connect via IMAPS?

... You may wish then to configure the IMAP
server to allow connections from other addresses and to listen on
secure IMAPS / 993, but this is trivial (eg "SSLADDRESS=0" in /etc/
courier-imap/imapd-ssl).

I started imapd-ssl with those settings the other day.  That's how
I've been trying to connect with no luck.

Have you run "/etc/init.d/courier-imapd-ssl start"?

Does `lsof` or `netstat` indicate the server is listening on the IMAPS port?
Have you tried port-scanning the server using nmap?
Have you tried doing so from localhost?

I don't know if it's a
certificate problem or something else.  Should I copy
/etc/courier-imap/imapd.pem from the remote server to somewhere on the
local machine for claws-mail?

I doubt it. I've never had to do anything like that. Your mail client will normally just pop up a "moody certificate" error which you can tell it to ignore.

Should I be using my remote server's IP address for the server names
in the claws-mail config?  Should IMAP4 authentication method be
Automatic?

Yes, that should be fine.

Stroller.