Matt Harrison wrote:
Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
Alan McKinnon wrote:
It's highly unlikely you lost data, as the upgrade would not have
changed the on-disk metadata. If all else fails, you could boot off
an LVM-enabled LiveCD and you'll find all your volumes present. But
first we need to find out what's going on (my machine uses
baselayout-2 and openrc & my lvm volumes were unaffected.

What output do you get from
pvscan
vgscan
lvscan
vgchange -a y

and what's in the various logs regarding lvm startup?

Ok,

pvscan says:
    No Matching physical volumes found

ouch. Looks like something is wrong with your lvm metadata. Could you confirm that your setup is lvm on top of local RAID, and that there isn't anything else involved (shared storage for example).

As a test, I would boot off an LVM enabled live cd and see if the volumes are accessible. That will determine if the problem lies with lvm, your volumes, or with how your gentoo is set up.

Last time I looked, the Sistina web site and redhat.com has loads of very useful info and FAQs. If you haven't already, I recommend you get onto those sites and start reading and doing non-destructive tests, as lvm errors can be varied and interesting when stuff goes wrong

I can confirm its 6 local drives using md software raid, with lvm stuck on top. No shared storage is happening at all.

I'll have a look at everything I can find. I just pray I haven't lost anything.....

I'm about to burn a live cd, and i'll see what it says about my partitions...fingers crossed

Ok, some success. I've booted up with the install livecd, and I can still access the metadata for my LVM partitions. Everything shows up fine, the sizes and usage check out and things seem ok.

So it appears I've not lost my data, just the ability to access it with the on-disk install I have.

Now I guess I've gotta either fix it, or re-install and then watch all my emerge's really closely to figure out what happened to get into this state.

Again, all help very much welcomed and thanks for the support so far :)

With a big sigh of relief,

Matt Harrison