Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:14:02 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:

Problem is, I wasn't watching the emerge, so I'm not sure what did happen.

If you can access the var filesystem from the live CD, you can read
emerge.log and see what you installed just before the problem hit.

The only thing I can see even remotely related to this that was upgraded is mdadm. the rest for the last month is just ruby and rails related stuff.

I've tried to upgrade to BL2, and found it is masked, along with openrc...so if those were masked..how did I end up with bits that rely on it, without unmasking them? strange.

I tried unmasking them and upgrading...but that just brings up a whole new series of problems, such as requiring that udev be removed, and thus I don't have access to /dev/hdi or /dev/hdk, so my raid now cannot start.

Looks like I've got no choice but to re-install, and never re-sync my portage ever again.

This is a silly problem that just doesn't make sense. The OpenRC migration guide doesn't describe anything that solves these problems.