On 8 Nov 2008, at 15:55, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
Alan McKinnon schrieb am 08.11.2008 16:00:
I'll bet your profile points to a server profile, not a desktop one. For the server profile, the default is no X server and thus no jpeg. A quick search shows me that all the desktop profiles enable jpeg by default - the expected state for most users. You profile is dictated by what the /etc/ make.profile
symlink points to.

... if you use Gentoo on a desktop enable the
desktop profile. ...

I wouldn't be inclined to assume a new user might be using a server profile because last time I checked these spit out an ugly warning message about "this profile being untested" for EVERY SINGLE package emerged.

Eventually - after enabling PORTAGE_ELOG_* and being inundated with warning spam for packages which had compiled without problems - I was unable to tolerate this behaviour any longer & switched to a desktop profile instead.

So has something changed since I experienced this, or have many other people just been ignoring the nuisance of the warning messages?

I guess I chose a server profile in the first place because it seemed more "correct" for me to do so (seeing as all my machines are servers), but since I'm quite happy to put USE="-X -gtk -qt &c" in my make.conf I can't see that it makes much difference.

Stroller.