On Tuesday 25 November 2008 21:24:48 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> I have no expertise to decide on that matter,
> but the fact that pretty much every linux distribution chooses ext3 by
> default suggests it is the safest (at least for simple desktop/laptop
> usage), no?

I don't think that has anything to do with performance or safety. Instead:

1. Red Hat suffers from a serious case of Not Invented Here Syndrome. They do
good work, but they have that little eccentricity too. ReiserFS was funded in
large part by SuSE, therefore RH are ill-inclined to use it. Many distros
follow Red Hat's lead, very few go with SuSE to wherever SuSE is going. Who
knows why Debian made their choice - it' s probably as simple as ext3 traces
it roots back much further than Reiser can

2. NameSys was largely driven by the fame (infamy?) of it's owner - a typical
mad scientist geek who writes excellent code. But he got himself in jail and
the risk associated with using his filesystem sans reliable know maintainer
is too great a risk for most distros

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com