On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I the only one here that sees this is a stupid and completely irrelevant
> thread? HTML mail is like farting when you meet the Queen - you just don't do
> it. There isn't a rule about it, it's not an exam question and there never
> was a formal process that came up with it. But if you do start raising one
> cheek to split the crack and let rip, the butler might come along nicely and
> ask you not to. At which point you should say "um, gee, thanks, I didn't know
> that..."

That was a really dumb analogy. It conveniently ignores the problem
and blows the situation out of proportion. As I said, very many mail
readers _default_ to html mails, and a significant part of user to
user contact is happily oblivious to it. It just doesn't come up in
everyday parlance. Forgive this one seething reaction to your
uncalled-for ridiculous holier-than-thou attitude, but the Internet
didn't stop growing 10 years ago.

It doesn't matter that there isn't a formal rule. What matters is
there is no way to find out about the de-facto rule in one of the
standard use-cases of a mailing list - which is to just ask a few
quick questions and filter out any irrelevant topics.