Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Eric Martin <freak4u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've seen plenty of emails going around requesting people not top-post
>> and not to post via html.  I don't think it's as big of a problem as
>> this thread makes it out to be.  While I'm sure some people do ignore
>> posts that fall into those categories, there's not really much you or I
>> can do about it.
>>

> If someone makes even a passing note of this on the website, then my
> single bug report might do the work of several dozen "dont post in
> html" mails over time.

I agree with that.

>> Do you honestly believe that people who ignore html emails are doing
>> something different than you for ignoring any post you don't care
>> about?  That argument can be easily silenced when you realize that some
>> people "don't care" for html formatted email.
>>
> That's a pretty easy question to answer and substantiate. Yes. Posts
> are typically discriminated upon based on their content. On the other
> hand, html posts are discriminated based upon their formatting. This
> means questions that people would otherwise have answered get ignored.
> Content discrimination is a null transaction. Formatting
> discrimination is at some times a null transaction and at some times
> negative (friction).

I sort of do this.  If someone posts a question about apache, mysql or
something I am not familiar with, I usually mark the thread as read and
move on.  I may read the first post tho.  I have !VERY! little
information and no experience with those at all.  No need cluttering my
brain with more info than I can handle.  lol

I think the point that is being missed and that I have seen posted in
the past is this.  Some people are text only, as in they only have a
console terminal, and they can't read html easily if at all.  If you are
needing help with say apache, mysql or some other server type software,
they are the very ones you need help from.  They likely have a lot of
experience in that chair.

I'm out of change I think.  This may be worth nothing at all.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)