On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:53:00 +0100
Nicolai Beuermann <nicolai.beuerm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Polipo is running but there's nothing changing when it's stopped.
> I'm on a NATted LAN behind a router without any firewall running on this host.

So far (in this thread) I've seen svn fail when it's started by layman,
prehaps you should try starting it directly, like this:

  cd /tmp && \
  svn co http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/vmware/trunk vmware_overlay

If it fails as well (I guess it should) and wget of the same http
address works, it certainly must be a bug in svn.

'strace -f svn co ...' might help to see which particular operation
fails - might be it's not http access, but something totally unrelated,
like forking a child 'getter' process due to some limit.

You might also consider simply downgrading / updating svn, since no
matter what kind of bug there is, it might not manifest itself in other
versions.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net