>> But X crashing from my use of Mathematica is absolutely unacceptable -
>
> I agree, it shouldn't crash.  Are you starting Mathematica by clicking on
> an icon in a menu?  If so, I'd suggest starting it from an xterm command
> prompt because you may see some helpful error messages before the crash.

I tried that, actually.  There is no warning in the terminal window.
And I have been looking at Xorg error logs also, but there is nothing
useful at the end of them!

All I have is:

(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)

One curious thing...

(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver

Why does it say "compiled for 4.0.2" when all the other X modules say
"compiled for 1.6.3.901", which is the xorg-server version?  I'm sure
that's nothing, but I'm just grabbing at straws here.