Denis wrote:
> I tried a few things today:
>
> 1)  rebuilt all x11-libs, media-libs, and anything I could think of
> that would be related to x11-libs (such as gtk+, qt...)
>
> 2)  downgraded to xorg-server-1.5
>
> Neither of these things helped.  Alan's hypothesis sounds plausible,
> but I don't even know which package to point fingers at!  Probably
> it's the Mathematica interface itself, which is horribly old by now,
> but I cannot upgrade it at this time.  As I said, dragging the
> scrollbar down works fine, but you drag the scroll bar up, and in a
> few seconds X gets zapped.  I tried instead clicking above or below
> the scroll bar to avoid dragging.  That is a tad better, but after a
> few times, it goes down again...
>
> The weird thing is that I never had this problem before doing the
> massive lib-xcb upgrade, and obviously the xorg-server doesn't seem to
> be helping or hurting anything, so I went back to xorg-server 1.6.
>
> Is there any procedure out there about de-Xifying your system?  I
> don't have the time right now to do all this, but I am just wondering
> if some people have removed everything X-related from their system and
> started anew without completely wrecking the box...

I would take a look at the world file and remove everything X related.
A --depclean should then remove everything X related.

Keep in mind, that could be a huge amount of stuff to re-install.  I
would make binaries of *some* things that you know would not affect the
programs you are having issues with.  Say for example OOo or some other
large packages that take a while to compile.  You can then use the -k
option to reinstall them.  Naturally, I wouldn't save anything related
to X itself.  I would recompile them from scratch.

I wish I had better ideas or a quick fix.

Dale

:-)  :-)