> Have you `emerge -e world` yet?
>
> Stroller.

I have that going now.  I offloaded OpenOffice to shorten the duration
of the rebuild, and I don't have KDE or Gnome - just fluxbox.  So it
should finish by sometime tomorrow, probably.  There are 604 packages
total.  Instead of trying to rebuild X-related stuff in parts, I
should have just done that from the beginning.

Dale - thanks for the advices also.  That's the route I thought about
taking.  Doing 'emerge -e world' first seems like a reasonable thing
to do.  It could be that whatever is causing this cannot be resolved
by a simple rebuild.  Whatever went into the lib-xcb upgrade probably
is either incompatible with the Mathematica frontend or has a bug
that's being exploited in this situation.  Keeping my fingers crossed
for the rebuild for now. :-)

-Denis