On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 21:46 -0400, Denis wrote:
> >> But X crashing from my use of Mathematica is absolutely unacceptable -
> >
> > I agree, it shouldn't crash.  Are you starting Mathematica by clicking on
> > an icon in a menu?  If so, I'd suggest starting it from an xterm command
> > prompt because you may see some helpful error messages before the crash.
>
> I tried that, actually.  There is no warning in the terminal window.
> And I have been looking at Xorg error logs also, but there is nothing
> useful at the end of them!
>
> All I have is:
>
> (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> One curious thing...
>
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>         compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>         Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>
> Why does it say "compiled for 4.0.2" when all the other X modules say
> "compiled for 1.6.3.901", which is the xorg-server version?  I'm sure
> that's nothing, but I'm just grabbing at straws here.

I am a Mathematica 7 user on amd64 (gentoo-sources 2.6.30-r5) with an
nvidia graphics card, and I just completed the same X upgrade this
evening. So far Mathematica has not given me any issues.

For what it's worth, I also receive the same "compiled for 4.0.2"
messages in my logs for the nvidia module, though I have not recompiled
my drivers (180.60) since the upgrade. dri and dri2 are not loaded, as
you have above. After glancing through your xorg.conf and X logs, I do
not see any glaring issues that would cause the problems you are
experiencing.

Two suggestions (apologies if they have been suggested already):

1) If you haven't already, recompile your xf86* packages. Somehow I
missed those when upgrading X, which caused issues for me.

2) Mathematica (at least version 7) ships its own version of Qt, which
it will use instead of the system version of Qt. If Mathematica 5 does
something similar -- sorry, I have never used that version on Linux, so
I do not know -- then it's possible that the old libraries are causing
issues. At least in version 7, removing the Mathematica-supplied Qt
libraries will cause Mathematica to use the updated system Qt libraries.
For me, the Qt libraries shipped with Mathematica are under
(install_directory)/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux-x86-64/. If Mathematica
5 ships libraries that are also installed system-wide, then I would
suggest moving the Mathematica files to another location and seeing if
using the system libraries helps with your crashing issue. For me,
removing the Mathematica Qt libraries made Mathematica faster and look
better.

Good luck with your issue.

Regards,

Brandon Vargo