Brandon,

Thanks very much for all this information about Mathematica - that
gives me a glimmer of hope!

> 1) If you haven't already, recompile your xf86* packages. Somehow I
> missed those when upgrading X, which caused issues for me.

I did recompile all the xf86 packages that qlist came up with.

> 2) Mathematica (at least version 7) ships its own version of Qt, which
> it will use instead of the system version of Qt. If Mathematica 5 does
> something similar -- sorry, I have never used that version on Linux, so
> I do not know -- then it's possible that the old libraries are causing
> issues. At least in version 7, removing the Mathematica-supplied Qt
> libraries will cause Mathematica to use the updated system Qt libraries.
> For me, the Qt libraries shipped with Mathematica are under
> (install_directory)/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux-x86-64/. If Mathematica
> 5 ships libraries that are also installed system-wide, then I would
> suggest moving the Mathematica files to another location and seeing if
> using the system libraries helps with your crashing issue. For me,
> removing the Mathematica Qt libraries made Mathematica faster and look
> better.

This is very illuminating.  I looked in the
"/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.2/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux"
directory, and this is what it contains for me:

libguide.so
libgmp.so.3
libvml.so
libmkl.so
libmkl_def.so
libmkl_lapack32.so
libmkl_lapack64.so
libmkl_p3.so
libmkl_p4.so
libmkl_p4p.so
libmkl_vml_def.so
libmkl_vml_p3.so
libmkl_vml_p4.so
libmkl_vml_p4p.so

Are these names familiar to anyone?  Are these Qt libraries or are
there others too?