Hi everybody,

I have been subscribed to this group for well over a year, and have seen
a great deal of valuable information produced.  I have seen discussions
and consensus reached.  We have a great deal of expertise among us.  But
I fear much of our understanding of how to tackle the global environment
crisis is being lost in the blogosphere.

So I propose that we, as a geoengineering group, should work together to
produce a manifesto for geoengineering.  This would: describe the state
of the Earth's climate system, identify critical risks, put the case for
geoengineering, consider how side-effects can be avoided or minimised,
and suggest when is the best time for geoengineering action.  Otherwise
we will finding ourselves saying the same things again and again over
the coming months and years. And we need a reasonably solid position
statement on which to peg further developments of ideas, which may be
more speculative.

A manifesto would allow particular members to contribute their
particular expertise, and have it scrutinised by others from different
viewpoints.

I would be will to help in preparing such a manifesto, which would be an
open document, but subject to editing control, perhaps on the lines of
wikipedia. (Andrew might advise on this, with his wikipedia
experience.)  However it should be open to the latest thinking (and it
would not be sensored in the way that sometimes happens on wikipedia re
geoengineering).

Cheers,

John