On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM, Alan Robock <rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>
 wrote:

> There is no consensus among readers of this group.
> A few of you are completely gung ho, with no interest in evaluating the
> risks as well as the benefits of any policy recommendation, but that
> does not represent the views of very many.

I completely agree with Alan's views. My impression is that this is far too
nascent a field to actively promote itself. I too suspect that a large
majority of group members, and a silent one at that, is skeptical of the
"gung ho brigade" of this group.

A lot of what's being professed here is largely personal opinion and
research that is long way from getting established. Peter's contention of
large-scale sustainable afforestation as a low-cost and feasible course of
action for dramatic emission reductions being a case in point.

By the way, Peter, I'm happy to see you include artificial trees as part of
the equation. I consider Klaus Lackner's artificial trees as the single most
attractive geoengineering technology out there. Since cost and viability
of large-scale sustainable afforestation is yet to be established, it cannot
be said which one's a better option amongst the two carbon stock management
choices.

Manu