From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
[mailto:geoengineer...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Manu Sharma
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:39 AM
To: Geoengineering
Subject: [geo] Re: Manifesto for Geoengineering

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:46 AM, Alan Robock <rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu>
wrote:

There is no consensus among readers of this group.
A few of you are completely gung ho, with no interest in evaluating the
risks as well as the benefits of any policy recommendation, but that
does not represent the views of very many.

I completely agree with Alan's views. My impression is that this is far too
nascent a field to actively promote itself. I too suspect that a large
majority of group members, and a silent one at that, is skeptical of the
"gung ho brigade" of this group.

A lot of what's being professed here is largely personal opinion and
research that is long way from getting established. Peter's contention of
large-scale sustainable afforestation as a low-cost and feasible course of
action for dramatic emission reductions being a case in point.

By the way, Peter, I'm happy to see you include artificial trees as part of
the equation. I consider Klaus Lackner's artificial trees as the single most
attractive geoengineering technology out there. Since cost and viability of
large-scale sustainable afforestation is yet to be established, it cannot be
said which one's a better option amongst the two carbon stock management
choices.

Manu