From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com
[mailto:geoengineer...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Read
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:54 AM
To: j...@cloudworld.co.uk; Alan Robock
Cc: Geoengineering; Martin Weitzman; Leslie Field; John Shepherd; Ron Larson
Subject: [geo] Re: Manifesto for Geoengineering

Alan,

I would not want to be alligned with any gung-ho brigade, but I do think it
is foolish to emphasize the risks of geoengineering to the neglect of the
risks of relying solely on emissions reductions.

I think selected technologies that pass the test of scale, of reversibility,
of timeliness and of cost should be implemented within a framework of
ongoing risk assessment (if safe, or developed to be ready for quick
implementation as needs be if they carry significant safety concerns)

Key technologies seem to be:

Carbon stock management [effectiveness cumulates with build up of stock
shift from atmosphere to terrestrial storage]

*       Sustainable afforestation [low cost, scaleable up to the point of
land availability, start tomorrow, burn it down again if not wanted]
*       CCS [moderate cost, scaleable up to availability of geological
storages, start in a year or so, let it out again if not wanted]
*       Artificial trees [moderate cost, scaleable as needed, start in 2020
[?], as safe as CCS, let it out again if not wanted]
*       Biochar [low cost given side benefits, scaleable as needed but rate
of take up limited by raw material supply, safe (despite Royal Society
nonsense based apparently on a submission from a scientifically
ill-qualified NGO - Ron may care to comment) but not reversible (can't take
it out of the soil)]

Solar radiation management [effectiveness immediate - likely only way if
polar catastrophe tipping point imminent]

*       Stratospheric aerosols [very cheap, reversible in a few months
(weeks?), scaleable as needed, start soon if needed, tele-climatic dangers
(monsoons etc.)]
*       Ocean cloud albedo enhancement [fairly cheap, scaleable up to
availability of suitably located ocean clouds, start in 2020 [?], likely
safe (more Royal Society nonsense) and possibly locatable to counter
teleclimatic effects of other technologies.
*       Artic ocean floating plastic islands (the ICE911 project - very
little info available)

Harvard economic guru Martin Weitzman has recently noted the complete
failure of the economics profession and policy community to address the
threat of climatic disaster or catastrophe, demonstrating that their
likelihood is sufficiently great for them to be of similar concern to the
likely impact of gradual climate change.  He called for 'some semblance of a
game plan to be ready for what may be coming down the road', in response to
which I have written (not with any intent it should become a manifesto, but
comments welcome on this material in draft)

The semblance of a game plan which is proposed here is that:

1.      it be recognized that threats of serious or irreversible damage are
sufficiently evident for cost effective precautionary action to be taken
under Article 3.3 of the Rio Treaty, without delay on account of any
remaining scientific uncertainty.

2.      such action must go beyond the tradition of commitments to emissions
reductions established under Article 4.2 of the Treaty, and continued
through the Berlin Mandate, the Kyoto Protocol, the Marrakesh Accords, the
Bali Roadmap and to be the main focus of the Copenhagen COP15 negotiations,
including that:

a.       rapid reductions in CO2 levels be initiated through biotic carbon
stock management, inter alia linking land use improvement driven carbon
removals from atmosphere with fossil fuel emissions reductions, through
substituting biofuels for fossil fuels.

b.      the deployment of both CO2 capture and storage  (CCS) and biochar
technologies be accelerated, with ongoing monitoring and learning by doing
to enhance effectiveness and safety

c.       carbon removal by 'artificial trees' be rapidly developed to be
available by 2020 and, though more costly, to have a role if rapid land use
improvement proves difficult to implement.

d.      preparations be made for the rapid deployment of stratospheric
aerosol solar radiation management in the event that loss of Arctic summer
sea-ice is imminent.

e.       ocean cloud albedo enhancement technology be developed urgently,
and modeling work undertaken to determine its optimal regional deployment
(and also the optimal regional deployment of afforestation activity) to
prevent or at least ameliorate unintended side effects from cooling the
earth through rapid reductions in greenhouse gas levels and/or from
deployment of aerosol injections into the polar stratosphere.

f.       carbon stock management be structured so as to secure sustainable
rural development in many land rich but otherwise impoverished regions of
the world, along with numerous objectives of the multinational environmental
agreements.

g.      funding for such carbon stock management be delivered through policy
that secures energy sector investments, initially to secure carbon credits
and later to facilitate commercial bioenergy transactions.

h.      other promising technologies for cooling the earth - e.g. black
carbon reductions and Arctic ocean surface albedo enhancement - be kept
under constant review and developed expeditiously on their merits.

3.      this semblance of a game plan be kept under constant review and
developed and refined into a fully fledged programme of action in response
to threats of climatic disaster or catastrophe, in the light of new
knowledge

If there does come to be some sort of manifesto (and I'm not sure one is
needed) it obviously goes without saying that it represents only the views
of those that sign it

Cheers

Peter

PS    I would like to be cited if anyone wants to use any of these ideas