It would be nice if Ron would provide a direct answer to Simon Evans's
question.

I read the post on the yahoo group referred to by Ron. There are
apparently differences of opinion on whether biochar is ready to be
considered as an offset in negotiations under the UNFCCC, but I saw no
errors of fact pointed out in that post. Tthe only substantive
complaint I could find was that the section on biochar was
inadequately referenced.

If there are indeed errors of fact in the Royal Society Report, it
would be helpful to point them out clearly, succinctly, and, where
appropriate, quantitatively.

Ken

PS. I repeat the post of Simon Evans here for convenience:

Please, someone explain to me what is "nonsense", or indeed
"misleading" about this quote on biochar from the Royal Society:

“Proponents of biomass for sequestration argue that very large rates
of sequestration are in principle achievable. For example, Lehmann et
al. (2006), quote a potential carbon sink of 5.5 to 9.5 GtC/yr by
2100, larger than the present day fossil fuel source (and approaching
10% of global primary production by plants). Such fluxes suppose that
there will be enormous growth in the resources devoted to the
production of biofuels, and that some large fraction of this carbon
would be converted to biochar. The use of crops for renewable fuels on
such a scale would very likely conflict with the use of agricultural
land for the production of food and/or biofuels.

As summarised in Table 2.4 biomass for sequestration could be a
significant small-scale contributor to a geoengineering approach to
enhancing the global terrestrial carbon sink, and it could, under the
right circumstances, also be a benign agricultural practice. However,
unless the sustainable sequestration rate exceeds around 1 GtC/yr, it
is unlikely that it could make a large contribution. As is the case
with biofuels, there is also the significant risk that inappropriately
applied incentives to encourage biochar might increase the cost and
reduce the availability of food crops, if growing biomass feedstocks
becomes more profitable than growing food.”

simon evans