From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [mailto:geoengineering@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ken Caldeira
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:45 PM
To: Stephen Gardiner
Cc: Benjamin Hale; xbenf...@gmail.com; gh...@sbcglobal.net; geoengineering;
ise...@listserv.tamu.edu; Debra Satz; Paul R. Ehrlich; Mike Wallace; Henry
Shue; Dale Jamieson
Subject: Re: [geo] Ethics and geoengineering: reviewing the moral issues raised
by solar radiation management and carbon dioxide removal - Preston - 2012 -
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change - Wiley Online Library

Stephen,

I think you misunderstand my point.

To think quantitatively about geoengineering, we need arithmetic but
geoengineering adds nothing to the study of arithmetic. Geoengineering is
therefore not a fitting field of study for arithmeticians, but it may make
sense for geoengineers to speak with arithmeticians when confronted with thorny
arithmetic problems.

To think ethically about geoengineering, we need to rely on the progress
philosophers have made in the study of ethics but I simply do not see how
geoengineering adds anything to the study of ethical theory. There is nothing
logically new about this problem. It may differ in magnitude and scale from
previous ethical dilemmas, but there is nothing that is qualitatively new from
an ethical dimension.

In other words, I am not arguing that geoengineering does not need philosophy.
I am arguing that philosophers do not need geoengineering, in the same way that
arithmeticians do not need geoengineering.

If you think that geoengineering poses any fundamentally new philosophic
problems, I would like to hear what they are.

Best,

Ken

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212
kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu<mailto:kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

Our YouTube videos
The Great Climate Experiment: How far can we push the
planet?<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2OWROToAI>
Geophysical Limits to Global Wind
Power<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7PXjUG-Yk>
More videos<http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology/videos>

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Stephen Gardiner