I quote from my earlier missive:

*To think ethically about geoengineering, we need to rely on the
progress philosophers have made in the study of ethics but I simply do not
see how geoengineering adds anything to the study of ethical theory. *

Judging from the responses, my assertion seems correct.

If I read Benjamin correctly, there is nothing in geoengineering for
philosophical theory, and the interest is in the realm of applied
philosophy: *How can the body of theory developed by philosophers be
applied in these particular cases?*

Again, I think this is similar to the case with, say, statistics:
*Statisticians
are needed to help apply statistical theory to geoengineering-relevant
climate model simulations, but these particular simulations do not pose new
problems for theoretical development of statistics.*

If I asked whether geoengineering poses new fundamental problems in
statistical theory,  I don't think the statisticians are likely to respond
by asserting that I have little to add to discussions or that I am thinking
narrowly. They would answer the question and not resort to *ad
hominem*remarks. Perhaps this represents a cultural difference
between philosophers and statisticians, but the statisticians would tell me
that I cannot base such conclusions on such a small sample size.

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
 +1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Our YouTube videos*
The Great Climate Experiment: How far can we push the
planet?<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2OWROToAI>

Geophysical Limits to Global Wind
Power<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7PXjUG-Yk>
More videos <http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology/videos>