The use of "playing god" in these discussions is somewhat opaque to me. (I
have been accused in the blogosphere of wanting to "play god", but outside
of a theatrical sense, I am not sure what that means, since I do not
believe in a god that takes positive action to intervene in the lives of
humans or our planet.)

So, google to the rescue:

Playing God
Ethics A popular term for the usurping by physicians—or by the health care
system—the role of a higher power or God—e.g., rationing limited medical
resources in underserved areas or underinsured populations, deciding who is
entitled to a limited number of organs for transplantation, or terminating
life support in the terminally ill or in a persistent vegetative state
Genetics A popular term for the ethical issues regarding manipulation of
the human genome and whether gene therapy usurps God’s omnipotence
Medspeak A generic term for the role that doctors, especially surgeons,
play in saving lives
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Playing+God

So, it seems that a core meaning has to do with people put in the position
of making difficult decisions that they would rather not have to make.  The
doctor would rather have more organs to transplant, but is forced to make
the difficult allocation decision.

I think the real issue here is not "playing god" but "playing community".
 We don't want doctors to make this decision but we want the community,
society, to set up rules and criteria that would tell doctors how these
scarce resources should be allocated.

When people say someone is 'playing god' in the context of
'geoengineering', are they responding to the fear that a small number of
people will make a decision that should be made by the broader society? Or
is there really some theological meaning that some decisions are the domain
of 'god' and not decisions that humans should make?  If the latter, not
being a theologian, I simply do not understand what that could possibly
mean.

Should we be saying that we are afraid that 'geoengineers' will 'play
community', or is there some additional meaning to the phrase 'playing god'?

A decision not to make the transplantation decision is itself a
transplantation decision. The decision not to solar geoengineer is itself a
solar geoengineering decision.  These are not decisions we can avoid. We
should work to make these broadly inclusive societal decisions, but we
cannot pretend that humanity can avoid making these decisions.

(Aren't the tiny groups trying to prevent research themselves trying to
make decisions for the broader society?)

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

*Our YouTube videos*
The Great Climate Experiment: How far can we push the
planet?<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2OWROToAI>

Geophysical Limits to Global Wind
Power<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7PXjUG-Yk>
More videos <http://www.youtube.com/user/CarnegieGlobEcology/videos>