I'm going to revive this thread a bit as I'm now attempting to start work
on [GEOS-6811] <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-6811> and it seems
like we have multiple naming issues.

To summarize what I've gathered from this thread, it looks like the
following names need to be xml safe: featuretypes, workspaces. Everything
else, we want to be more lax. We just want to ensure the links in the REST
API are consistent/correct. Perhaps anything that is a valid file system
name and that does not contain spaces.

I'm not sure how all this will relate to colons in names. What about the
fix Jody suggested for invalid style names? Could that be something that's
done generally? A possibility we discussed was having a separate
NamesUtilities which would handle the validation/correction of invalid
names for these situations.

Is there a ticket for this issue, or should I create one? Probably linking
GEOS-6811 especially if the issue/fix is related.

Travis Brundage
Software Engineer | Boundless
tbrund...@boundlessgeo.com
250.888.2820