> > 2. Root Layer
> >
> > Inconsistently translated:
> >
> > "Hauptlayer"  (in WMS global settings)
> > "Wurzellayer" (in Layer Group Editor, type 'Earth Observetion Tree')
> >
> > I tend to use "Wurzellayer" (like in "Wurzelvereichnis"). Due to the
> > double "ll", for better readability writing it with a hyphen
> > "Wurzel-Layer" may be an option. Any suggestions?
> >

> I do not like "Wurzellayer" or "Wurzel-Layer" (the longer I look at the
> words the more odd the look). How about "Hauptlayer" (not a 100 % match)
> or "Basislayer"?
>
> Hard to translate, TBH.

The root indicates it is the root of the tree data structure; however that
is more a computer science idea/concept.

If I explain the idea in english I indicate it is the top layer or the
parent layer and all the other layers are children that inherit the values
(such as the coordinate reference system list) from the top layer.

Google translate gives me "Oberstelayer" for upper or uppermost - may be a
good fit?