If you are serving the schema from localhost via GeoServer, it will not
be located, because GeoServer tries to download the schema (for
app-schema) before GeoServer starts serving content. Or are you using
another server on localhost?

Try installing your schema in:

app-schema-cache/localhost/path/to/your/schema.xsd

and referring to it in your mapping as

http://localhost/path/to/your/schema.xsd

Then app-schema will resolve it in the cache.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>