You are totally right, those "-" were in the original xsd-file and truly are
not wanted there. I removed them and added the missing XMLSchema namespace.
This solved the occurence of the error "No top level element found in
schemas" but instead I'm getting "XSD type definition not found in schemas:
{http://www.opengis.net/iso19112}SI_LocationInstanceType. I checked the
linked iso19112.xsd for this type and it seems that this type is defined
there.
So I cannot detect why this error shows up.