I've read the followups, but it is stilll unclear to me why you are
invoking GWC at all ?

GWC stores many small tiles in PNG or JPEG format. It is rather
expensive to decode these tiles and to combine them into a new image.
Last time I checked it was a lot slower than using an optimized GeoTIFF
as the source, and I think (but I haven't checked) you need a pretty
hefty dataset + styles for this to be slower than rendering vector
straight from the database.

So why not just use WMS ?  The ability to combine tiles was written for
a very extreme case, a legacy WMS backend that was unbearably slow and
couldn't be fixed.

-Arne