Yeah, the case you describe is very similar to the one for which this
feature was written. And now I do see you said it in one of the follow
ups I obviously missed, sorry.

That is the only way forward that I can think of. And tell all of the
providers to switch to clusters of GeoServers for increased reliability
and decreased costs ;)

-Arne