On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Arne Kepp <a...@tiledmarble.org> wrote:

> So why not just use WMS ?  The ability to combine tiles was written for
> a very extreme case, a legacy WMS backend that was unbearably slow and
> couldn't be fixed.

Arne, you'd be surprised how many recently (that is, not legacy)
published WMS services are actually tragically slow, even with software
that is supposed to be fast per se, only because
people were clueless about proper configuration, data preparation and
styling
(none of the ones I have in mind are made with GeoServer, but in those cases
the software does not really make any difference)

I won't make names, but some of the ones I've seen around could be used to
redefine the word "embarassing", we sometimes had to use them as background
maps and tile caching them was the only viable option

Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead