On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_...@wildintellect.com>wrote:

> That seems kinda silly, is it non-trivial to ship a newer version? Seems
> like 6.1.x series is still common (6.1.24 on ubuntu 12.04), which I
> would guess is just fixes.

It would be silly if we had plenty of time available. However, the
situation is exactly
the opposite, the work is distributed over relatively few people (90% of
the work is
actually done by < 10 people) and there is a lot to do
(e.g in jira.codehaus.org we have 1093 open tickets... not all bugs, not
all valid,
but still...).

Given the situation, one works based on priorities, which during the week
pretty
much means "paid work first" (or, if you have plenty, "paid work only"),
and during the spare time, for those that still work on it, well... that
has a meaning
varying by person, for example in my case it's "try to help people
contributing changes to GeoServer/GeoTools",
so, review patches/pull requests, provide indications on how to fix them
for contribution,
amend myself the ones that went cold, and occasionally fixing some critical
bug
or providing some bit of new functionality.

So, in the best open source spirit, all I can say is "patches welcomed" :-p
(and oh, yes, you can also open a improvement request ticket type at
jira.codehaus.org
asking for an upgrade)

> Thanks,
> Alex