Thanks for the replies folks. Given I only anticipate 100-200 unique users
a day, I guess Jetty should be fine. Minimal configuration on our end and
we can swap to Tomcat later anyway.

Heading slightly off-topic with the newer-jetty stuff, but I downloaded the
latest Jetty 8 stable (8.1.10.v20130312) - it seems to be a drop in
replacement for Jetty 6. No special configuration required, just worked.

The only "issue" I've had to far is that it didn't like my jetty-web.xml
"fix" to allow POSTing large style layers. So I deleted that file and it
turns out that fix isn't even necessary with Jetty 8!

It may be confirmation bias, but Jetty 8 does seem faster, certainly the
admin interface is more responsive.

I appreciate your point Andrea about limited dev resources. On the other
hand GeoServer is shipping with a four year old web-server (an age on the
Internet) that has since received as best I can tell a considerable number
of security fixes just in the 6.x branch. Unfortunately most folks (myself
included) lack the technical aptitude to offer patches, so we rely on
the generosity of the developers in giving their time. For my part I try
and reciprocate with my QA skills by adding to your jira issue count. ;-)

I'll open an improvement request per your suggestion.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

On 18 March 2013 07:10, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Alex Mandel
> <tech_...@wildintellect.com>wrote:
>
>> That seems kinda silly, is it non-trivial to ship a newer version? Seems
>> like 6.1.x series is still common (6.1.24 on ubuntu 12.04), which I
>> would guess is just fixes.
>>

> It would be silly if we had plenty of time available. However, the
> situation is exactly
> the opposite, the work is distributed over relatively few people (90% of
> the work is
> actually done by < 10 people) and there is a lot to do
> (e.g in jira.codehaus.org we have 1093 open tickets... not all bugs, not
> all valid,
> but still...).
>
> Given the situation, one works based on priorities, which during the week
> pretty
> much means "paid work first" (or, if you have plenty, "paid work only"),
> and during the spare time, for those that still work on it, well... that
> has a meaning
> varying by person, for example in my case it's "try to help people
> contributing changes to GeoServer/GeoTools",
> so, review patches/pull requests, provide indications on how to fix them
> for contribution,
> amend myself the ones that went cold, and occasionally fixing some
> critical bug
> or providing some bit of new functionality.
>
> So, in the best open source spirit, all I can say is "patches welcomed" :-p
> (and oh, yes, you can also open a improvement request ticket type at
> jira.codehaus.org
> asking for an upgrade)
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>

>> Thanks,
>> Alex

> ==
> Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
> information.
> ==
>
> Ing. Andrea Aime
> @geowolf
> Technical Lead
>
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
> Italy
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax: +39 0584 1660272
> mob: +39  339 8844549
>
> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain
sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be
handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to
anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the
sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without
limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in
accordance with relevant legislation.