I'm slowly coming round to the FeatureId option.  I don't really like
the idea of carrying around the extra version information when 98% of
the time it's going to be placeholders, but it will keep client
efforts cleaner.

I should also clarify my confusion in comparing FeatureId to
ResourceId.  I basically wrote a test case that created a
SimpleFeature with a FeatureId and saved it into the versioned store.
On reading it out, I assertedEquals that they were the same.  The
versioned store created a ResourceId on read, so the
ResourceId.equals(FeatureId) failed, yet the
FeatureId.equals(ResourceId) succeeded.  The FeatureId option would
(should?) fail consistently both ways.

There is an existing method that I simply didn't notice soon enough in
Identifier.matches(..) that is the appropriate way to do things.  I
have no preference between equalsFid and matches, but equals should
continue to be the same complete equality that caught me, ie. the
proposed equalsExact.

--
Mark

On 19 October 2011 17:21, Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am going to have a run at making a patch on Monday; if I can manage it I
> would like to go with FeatureId option. If not I will use your ResourceId
> option as a fall back position.
> (I am not crazy I am going to start with your ResourceId patch and then
> refactor; deprecating the non used RecordId and ObjectId as I go). All in
> all I expect this to be a low risk change.
> I am still keen to get feedback from Gabriel especially with respect the
> functions that query based on time range. I am not sure I completely
> understood what the wfs2 specification was on about here as they seemed very
> vague.
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On Wednesday, 19 October 2011 at 1:58 PM, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
>
> Thanks for putting the proposal together Jody. Tough to say which option is
> the way to go.. I actually do like the option of just rolling all the
> ResourceId stuff into feature id... seems a bit simpler and cleaner, and
> definitely easy on client code to not have to do the instanceof check.
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Morning:
> I have a development team that has been working in a fork of GeoTools while
> the wfs2 and resoruceid concepts took shape. Justin has kindly merged in the
> wfs2 work (I still need to write some docs before it is done); and I have
> now written up a proposal for the ResourceId change.
> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/ResouceId
> Since I have a development team waiting on this I will start work on Monday;
> and would like to collect any input people feel is necessary before that
> time. The work should not take very long; there are however two options on
> the table.
> --
> Jody Garnett

> Justin Deoliveira
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
> Enterprise support for open source geospatial.

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com