On 16/10/12 16:06, Andrea Aime wrote:
> Btw, this is imho also in violation of
> http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GSIP+77+-+Time+boxed+release+model

In my view this is a grey area. The policy explicitly allows "new minor
core functionality (e.g. new output format". This change seemed to me
quite similar. I did not see it as being the major change that requires
a vote before backporting. However, I am happy to put it to a vote if
you require it.

What you appear to be proposing is a hardening period before each stable
release. This is not in the policy, as far as I can tell. It does sound
like an interesting idea and I am happy to discuss it. Perhaps stable
should only be open for backports for the first two weeks? What about
the other issues raised at the meeting on Monday? Will they be held as
well? I am not sure I like all the implications.

This change was already accepted by you on master. We picked through all
the details. I made all the improvements suggested by you. I went
through it in agonising detail. I was not aware that you "only managed
to have a cursory look at it". I apologise if I have stepped on your
toes as referencing maintainer.

Again, I am quite happy to revert this change if you have a problem with
it. I am also quite happy for you to do the reverting, if you prefer.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer