On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Simone Giannecchini <
simone.giannecch...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:

> Here is what I suggest. We ( as in GeoSolutions) will set up an
> official build server with Windows and dedicate it to the projects
> (giving everybody access to Jenkins on it).
> At that point all developers should make sure that they don't break
> the build anymore on Windows, which basically mean taking extra care
> when writing code and tests, which can do only good to our beloved
> projects!

While it's no secret that I hate Windows I'd be very much +1 on this one.
Like it or not, Windows is still an important platform, both on the desktop,
where it's still the dominator, and on the server, where it still has a
clear
lead in several states.

While I cannot say I have seen many Windows servers in the last years,
it's also most likely an effect of me being involved in the open source
projects,
and some self-selection effect, in that people using Linux are probably more
likely to interact with the projects and/or fund them to get improvements.

Yet, I have the feeling there is still a large untapped basin of Windows
users
that we're not reaching to, and getting the build to work flawlessly on
Windows
for both GeoServer and GeoTools would imho go a long way to help us
cross that chasm.

==
GeoServer training in Milan, 6th & 7th June 2013!  Visit
http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf