On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmer...@pobox.com>wrote:
>
>> Simone,
>>
>> Is the proposed process that we commit changes and then check in with he
>> windows Jenkins build an hour or two later to see if we broke them?  Or is
>> there a way to pre-test on windows?  Or will we be automatically notified
>> if our change breaks the tests?
>>

> The workflow would be the same as the linux build server: it checks at
> fixed intervals if the code changed (once per hour?),
> if so it triggers the build and notifies the devel mailing list and the
> person that did the commit about build failures.
> If within a few hours (12? we don't have a fixed amount, it's more of an
> empirical observation) the build is not fixed people
> affected by it are at liberty of reverting the commit to restore the build.
> It's a loose process, but so far it has worked pretty well I'd say... it's
> not like we have 20 commits a day, or 20 people
> working in parallel on code, so a somewhat relaxed workflow as the above
> works fine in practice.

Andrea,

Sounds good.  I like the (above) process since it doesn't require me to
remember anything special, it just lets me know if something goes wrong.

I know of places in which the build triggers within 10 seconds of your
> commit, no one can commit if the build is broken,
> a special commit message has to be setup in order to be able to commit at
> all when the build is broken
> (commit hooks synched with the build server), and if you don't say you're
> working on it to fix it, the commit
> is reverted within the hour. But these are also places in which 20-40
> developers are working in parallel
> over the same code base during the same working hours, so the impact of a
> broken build is a lot heavier.

I also know of a place with quite a bit of complexity around commit
management, test status, etc.  It's a good thing they pay me to deal with
it. :-)

Best regards,
warmer...@pobox.com