On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmer...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Simone,
>
> Is the proposed process that we commit changes and then check in with he
> windows Jenkins build an hour or two later to see if we broke them?  Or is
> there a way to pre-test on windows?  Or will we be automatically notified
> if our change breaks the tests?

The workflow would be the same as the linux build server: it checks at
fixed intervals if the code changed (once per hour?),
if so it triggers the build and notifies the devel mailing list and the
person that did the commit about build failures.
If within a few hours (12? we don't have a fixed amount, it's more of an
empirical observation) the build is not fixed people
affected by it are at liberty of reverting the commit to restore the build.
It's a loose process, but so far it has worked pretty well I'd say... it's
not like we have 20 commits a day, or 20 people
working in parallel on code, so a somewhat relaxed workflow as the above
works fine in practice.

I know of places in which the build triggers within 10 seconds of your
commit, no one can commit if the build is broken,
a special commit message has to be setup in order to be able to commit at
all when the build is broken
(commit hooks synched with the build server), and if you don't say you're
working on it to fix it, the commit
is reverted within the hour. But these are also places in which 20-40
developers are working in parallel
over the same code base during the same working hours, so the impact of a
broken build is a lot heavier.

==
GeoServer training in Milan, 6th & 7th June 2013!  Visit
http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf