Hi,

+1 from me, if that counts for anytime.

I want to become more involved with the GeoTools project and I feel that the
lack of full Windows support is not the best situation. I develop on Windows
but most of my solutions end up on *nix platforms.

On another issue related to the build; I want to canvas the opinion of the
active developers in addressing a small issue of build stability. With the
suite of maven plugins that is involved in building GeoTools there is a small
chance that the build could break due to a bug in a plugin or related plugin
issue. At the moment, the version of each plugin is unspecified. In Maven 2
this was accepted behaviour; but in Maven 3 this is flagged as a warning with
the build continuing (The reams of warning message at the start of the maven
build process are the indications of this - I really hate this). The resolution
of which instance of a plugin is used is outlined in [1]. As such, the tools
used in the build process are changing as each plugin releases a new version
which falls outside of the control of the GeoTools project. This exposes the
project to the risk of build instability.

I would like to address this issue if the community feels that this is useful
work. Would a pull request of this nature be merged into the project's
repository?

In building the pull request I would include the versions plugin. It is used to
manage the versions of artifacts in a project's POM. More information can be
found at [2]. I would create some documentation to outline its usage within
GeoTools.

The GeoServer project addressed a build stability issue related to JUnit. I
have heard Andrea mention that this is something that should be addressed in
GeoTools also. See commit 6411df5e7e (01/06/2013) on master for an instance of
this issue.

Opinions please,
Brett Walker

[1]