Just my 2c, but I thought it might not have been the best thing to
close that pull request.  I can easily imagine submitting a PR,
getting feedback about the need for further work from the core devs,
and then not getting round to it for a few months (or years !) because
of other things.  I don't think long-standing pull requests are any
worse than long-standing jira issues, regardless of them being more
visible.

Michael