I think closing an old pull request that the original submitter has not
been responsive too is ok. And as long as we explain why we are closing it
I think it actually makes the project look better than just leaving it
open. So perhaps more of a description on close so that the original author
doesn't think they cant re-open or re-submit the pr if they are able to be
active again.

My $0.02.

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org