  From: willett
  To: rldavis ; Global Environmental Education
  Cc: Kai N. Lee
  Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 1:39 PM
  Subject: Re: Community-based management of coral reef resources

  Larry,

  Caldera and Wickett do not give  a "scenario" that "posits" burning all
fossil fuel.  It's a graph through time.  Pick your estimate of when you think
we're going to stop increasing atmospheric CO2, and read off pH.  ("Stop
increasing" means something over 80% reduction in emissions from today, right?)
 I wouldn't be sanguine that current political processes will get us there
before the end of this century.  So, look at the end of this century, -0.4 pH
change in the surface waters.   If you're reading the graph the same way I am,
and you understand the consequences of -0.4 pH change, you are saying that you
are confident enough that we'll get 80% reduction in CO2 by 2050 that  you see
efforts to direct attention to the problem are not worth distracting people
from other problems.  Or, perhaps more clearly, see the graphs in:
     http://co2.cms.udel.edu/Ocean_Acidification.htm
  for both a blown up version of the Caldera and Wickett time graph, and for a
picture of the environment for tropical corals in 2070.

  In other words, I thought I WAS dealing with breathing, rather than the cut
on the finger.  (I took a first aid course too.)

  I accept blame for pushing the student.  He sought his own council from the
literature and from oceanographers, then decided.

  Willett Kempton