Your student may want to check out the work of Robert Pomeroy (UConn) and
Richard Pollnac (URI) (both collectively and individually), and, of course,
IUCN's working group on Poverty and Environment within CEESP
(http://www.iucn.org/themes/ceesp/) .  As for potential case studies, I
usually point to the Locally Managed Marine Areas Network
(http://www.lmmanetwork.org/) as a stellar example of how conservation on
the ground will eventually be done, if it's going to be culturally
appropriate and, therefore, sustainable (but that seems a different
conversation.).

Best,

Cristina

Cristina M Balboa * Doctoral Candidate, Yale University * Senior Fellow,
Environmental Leadership Program *

92 Fort Greene Place* Brooklyn, NY  11217* p. 203.668.5501 *
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~cb339/

  _____