As best as I understand it - all GCMs (coupled atmosphere-ocean models) try to replicate large-scale features of the climate system, including ENSO, monsoon, NAO etc. They are just not very good at it yet, but improving. Higher spatial resolution but also resolution in terms of number of atmospheric layers and oceanic layers, and improved representation of the physical processes within each will lead to further improvements in this area. The exercise of verifying model specifications against observed trends is a common practice, and models tend to do quite well in reproducing temperature variability over time and space. Reproduction of historical precip patterns (and projections of future patters) are notoriously far more difficult.

That said, most models do well in some regions and less well in others. Fancy that! The British Hadley model is particularly good over northern Europe. GFDL and PCM and CCSM (US models) are better over the US. (I don't know how good the Japanese model is over Asia, but it appears it doesn't do so great, based on the comment that started this thread.) Maybe this is of GEP interest...

Otherwise, this statement below doesn't shake my confidence in the fundamentals. But for folks in that region, improvement in this aspect of climate models is critical, and it should be of international interest given the social and economic teleconnections, not just the climatic ones. There is - to be sure - lots of modeling effort going into improving monsoon reproduction. While we're waiting.... let's decrease vulnerability!

Two cents from the coast awaiting an El Nino winter....

Susi

Shane Mulligan wrote:

Larry - I wonder if the difference is not so much weather versus climate, but local as opposed to regional or global variation (the "change" in GCC). We all probably agree that the global trends are reasonably clear and their trajectory can be anticipated. Sure, determining climate trends is de rigeur.

But is the monsoon not also "climate" in its locales? I claim no expertise here, but I understand the Monsoon has been a regular event for many millions of years, and SO regular in its timing that the arrival at any location is generally within a calendar week. (Variations in the severity of the monsoon are common, of course.) The loss of that regularity due to GCC is a major concern among agricultural planners (particularly farmers)... but the question is one of perception: is the (feared) variance caused by CC or is it a manifestation of "change". The "extremes of weather" expected globally are also manifestations of change, are they not? That the monsoon defines its own "average conditions" makes it more a regional (rather than global) CC; but changing the monsoon patterns is not a weather event. I would argue it's more like removing winter.

Shane Mulligan
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow
Centre for Global Governance Research
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave. West
Waterloo, ON
N2L 3G1

“My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel.”
—Saudi saying
www.theoildrum.com <http://www.theoildrum.com>