Hi All,
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in as well...
On Wil's 1st point: I agree that anything but a political framework was off the
table well before 43,000 registered COP15 attendees (and some 100,000
protesters) gathered in Copenhagen. But given that 120 or so heads of state
were coming to town (including Obama himself) gave people like Ivo de Boer hope
to publicly state (as he did at Forest Day) that heads of state don't come for
failure. It nurtured a sense of optimism among attendees that Obama, Wen (the
Chinese premier) and also EU reps would not come empty-handed but move beyond
their positions in at least some way, either by more concrete pledging of
finance or stronger unilateral targets. None of this happened, except the 2
degrees inclusion in the final version of the Accord. To me, this is where the
disappointment lies.
Best, Heike

--
Dr. Heike Schroeder