Wil, you raise a lot of issues here, we could end up with a long (and
interesting debate). A few reactions, following your numbering.

1. we did know that it was highly likely that we¹d only get a political
agreement, although it is worth noting there was always an (outside) chance
that enough KP parties might say it was worth inserting new numbers into a
second KP commitment period, alongside this political declartation including
non-KP countries, notably the US. But this declaration is a hell of a lot
weaker than many observers expected, and I¹d say was absolutely possible
before the start of the Copenhagen talks. The numbers in terms of emissions
reductions already on the table were (while obviously inadequate to deal
with Tuvalu¹s problems or to get to a 2C overall goal) were broadly
consistent enough that you could imagine a deal aroudn them ­ even those
weren¹t in the final version, although they say they¹re going to put numbers
in by Feb. The US-China monitoring spat seems incomprehensible from the
outside, since the US itself wants a relatively light multilateral
monitoring of emissions reporting (consequently it¹s not certain that your
point 4a is correct). And so on ­ on every issue a deal seemed possible,
they¹ve come up with the weakest version.

2. on legally binding. You¹re right of course that international law is weak
in terms of enforcement. But you¹re wrong that Œmany¹ Annex B countries will
fail to meet their Kyoto targets ­ the EU will get there easily enough, as
will (for hot air reasons) most ex-soviet countries. NZ still has some to do
but has set up a system which will mean it will buy hot air in effect.
Australia and Japan aren¹t too far off. Only really Canada is way off, and I
despair at the idiots in charge of the country I moved to. So the q to my
mind is not about enforcement, but rather about (a) the set of expectations
that the term Œlegally binding¹ sets up amongst states ­ that they tend to
behave differently in the context of such a status to an agreement ­ here
I¹d claim that if Kyoto had just been a Œpolitical declaration¹ then I can¹t
see the EU having set about achieving its targets so thoroughly without the
legal status (although that¹s a judgement call of course), and (b) you can¹t
set up any sort of institutional arrangements such as the CDM without the
Œlegal¹ status of an agreement. And Kyoto compliance overall for the Annex B
countries (they will get there collectively, canadian rubbishness being
outweighed by russian hot air) has been driven by the Kyoto-CDM-EU ETS
relationship, which couldn¹t have existed without a legal agreement.

3. I tend to agree on this Œrealist¹ point, although one thing this misses
is that the multilateral process has become much more focused on adapation
in recent years, and there those countries (not venezuela, but the AOSIS and
african states) are crucial.

4. I¹ll just raise two points here ­ one is that the money is totally
unclear on details ­ whether it¹s additional money from states, whether its
expectations of flows from offset markets (CDM or otherwise), wheher its
additional to existing aid, etc. And while forest people love REDD, if it¹s
included in an offset mechanism like the CDM, which it looks like it will
be, this could be a disaster, taking away incentives for actual emissions
reductions in the Annex I/B countries. An interesting aside here is that
while in the negotiations much was being heralded for REDD, in the carbon
market meetings IETA was running, there were workshops on how the hell you
might make money out of a REDD project ­ they are of the view it¹s probalby
not a very cheap option. That might save us in fact.

Enough for now.

Mat

--
Matthew Paterson
École d'études politiques, Université d'Ottawa

Web site:
http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/pol/eng/profdetails.asp?ID=123
And http://matpaterson.wordpress.com/
Co-editor, Global Environmental Politics:
http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/glep
Latest books "Climate capitalism: global warming and the transformation of
the global economy" (with Peter Newell)
http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521194857
And "Cultural Political Economy" (edited, with Jacqueline Best)
http://www.routledgepolitics.com/books/Cultural-Political-Economy-isbn978041
5489324