Pam, Lorraine and others,

Just one clarification. Article 5 does indeed say that supported actions by
non Annex 1 parties alone are subject to international MRV, but it is
important to note the additional sentence:
"Non-Annex I Parties will communicate information on the implementation of
their actions through National Communications, with provisions for
international consultations and analysis under clearly defined guidelines
that will ensure that national sovereignty is respected."

This sentence implies that non-supported mitigation actions, while not
subject to international MRV, will be communicated to the Parties and while
be subject to "consultation and analysis." This is compromise text short of
international MRV, but which goes beyond many developing countries' demands
that these be entirely off limits for international scrutiny. THis was a
huge stumbling block to a deal and is one of the 2-3 biggest political
redlines here in India. The text only really partially fixes the problem
since the devil will lie in the details of consultation and analysis. But it
does enable the Parties to park the issue and move on.

For those interested the WSJ website has the text along with commentary by
three observers: a WWF rep, someone from the American Chamber of Commerce,
and myself as a "developing country" voice. Unsurprisingly, we all perform
true to type in our reading of the text.

Thanks,
Navroz.

--

Navroz K. Dubash