On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 09:21:26AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
[...]
> This is the only list I use that has this shown this issue.

Then you are lucky. I'm on *loads* of mailing lists, and several of them have
had GMail users complaining of missing list posts and being unsubscribed. The
common factor here is of course Google's mail servers rather than the lists'.

Of course, being the kind of whiny freeloaders that services like Gmail
attract, they also demand that the lists change their configuration to suit
them. After all, why deal with one's own poor life choices when one can blame
everybody else instead?

> Strictly speaking it may not be the fault of the list but we will not get
> anywhere by trying to tell Google they are doing it wrong. Nor is it valid to
> say that users of the list cannot use gmail.

Mailing list admins can set any policy they like and indeed could choose to
reject GMail users if they so wish. Their server, their rules. It turns out
that there's an extremely relaxed policy on this list (and most other lists),
as demonstrated by the occasional spam which slips through and tolerance of
such blatantly off-topic threads as this one. Compare this to the get_iplayer
forum, with a long list of rules which dinky enforces with an iron fist.

In contrast, Google have a very strict policy, and expect the rest of the
Internet to spend a lot of time and money chasing their latest capricious
changes. This is a full-time job, and unsurprisingly, many people running mail
services on the side have better things to do than try and support users of an
actively hostile mail service. If it works, fine; if it doesn't, tough.

> The list is for the use of all get_iplayer users, not just those that do not
> use gmail. Unfortunately the solution is to be pragmatic and change the list
> configuration so that it works around Googles failings, as other lists do.

I'm sure the list admin(s) will be delighted to receive your remittance to
cover the cost of the reconfiguration, testing, extra server load, and ongoing
maintenance required to improve (but not guarantee!) deliverability to GMail.
Until then, they'll run the list however they please.